Pool care must be done mainly for health and safety reasons. Economics come in next for best value of your money’s worth. Here’s how to do it best:
1. Pool care is pool cleaning. Topping the list is the need to do it regularly, year-in and year-round with a set routine to save you time and energy. Start with a “Pool Care/Clean Schedule” and checklist of what to have from brushes to buckets and vacuums to handy tools. Include too in your list the contact details of pool service professionals.
2. Since the schedule is out and the checklist is done you can now proceed with the actual “how.” Start by skimming the floating debris.
3. Clean out the strainer baskets.
4. Most pools have an automatic system but regular pool care is best done with the use of manual brushes on tiles and walls. Take extra steps in corners and those difficult to reach areas.
5. Depending on where you live, your location will spell the need to “winterize” or not your pool. Always address the residual pool water in pipes that if not cleaned for a considerable time, will cause damage. Use an air compressor to blow water out of the pool’s plumbing. Then drain as much water from the filter and use non-toxic anti-freeze for “left-over” water. This entire cleaning and draining process call for you to disconnect the heater, pump and chemical feeders.
6. A clean pool has clean water. Most common concern here is that massive Chlorine smell. Brought by massive build-up of organic contaminants. The best solution is to “super chlorinate” or to affect “shock” which brings pool water back to its normal chlorine levels. The process is realized by adding a large amount of chlorine. For best results stick to the manufacturer’s instructions on super chlorinating.
7. Test pool water for its pH scale or measurement of acidity. Ideal range for swimmers is a reading of 7.2 to 7.8.
8. Pool care is also about right water level and whatever designs you include will be taken into consideration as well. Designs such as bamboo fountains and garden planters in the borders of the pool are some of the popular designs that are incorporated into swimming pools.
9. Clean the pool filter rightly so as not to affect the filtration process. Check if there is an increase in flow between the pressure gauge and flow meter. If the difference reaches 4.5 to 6.8 kilograms per square inch, it is time to clean.
10. Do all the pool care and cleaning but leave the servicing of the heater to professionals.